Do you have low blood levels of testosterone?
Men with low blood levels of testosterone (men with hypogonadism) may experience low sex drive, erectile dysfunction, low mood, fatigue and other very concerning symptoms that can dramatically impact their lives and that of people around them. There are several questionnaires developed in the medical community to assess who would be a good candidate for testosterone blood testing.
An important observation is that low testosterone symptoms can also be caused by medications, sleep apnea, depression, illness, and other health issues that may have nothing to do with hormone blood levels, so it is important not to assume one has low testosterone just because these symptoms are present. A blood test is a good way to find out if indeed someone has low testosterone blood levels.
The following questionnaire is one the most commonly used in the testosterone replacement field.
ADAM questionnaire about symptoms of low testosterone (Androgen Deficiency in the Aging Male)
- Do you have a decrease in libido (sex drive)?
- Do you have a lack of energy?
- Do you have a decrease in strength and/or endurance?
- Have you lost height?
- Have you noticed a decreased "enjoyment of life"?
- Are you sad and/or grumpy?
- Are your erections less strong?
- Have you noticed a recent deterioration in your ability to play sports?
- Are you falling asleep after dinner?
- Has there been a recent deterioration in your work performance?
If you answer Yes to number 1 or 7 or if you answer Yes to more than 3 questions, you may have low testosterone. Only a testosterone blood test can confirm this diagnosis.