This test for adrenal insufficiency includes 4 measurements of your salivary Cortisol level during one day. Cortisol, also known as the "stress hormone" can be either too high or too low which may be a sign of adrenal distress. This is a take home kit that you pick up at the closest lab location when you take the emailed lab request form, then follow the collection times shown in the table below, and finally return the kit to the lab. Your test results will be emailed 5 business days later.
IMPORTANT: We pride ourselves to have the best prices available in most U.S. states. However, due to local regulations we cannot serve customers in NY, NJ, MA, NH, ME and RI. No lab locations in HI and VT.
Please read the following frequently asked questions before placing an order: FAQs
If your order includes additional blood or urine tests, we suggest acquiring the specimen kit from the lab at least two days prior to scheduling an appointment or walking in for your blood draw.
1. Wait at least 1 hour after eating to collect specimen. At least 30 minutes before collecting saliva specimen, rinse mouth to remove residue from food, drinks, candy, etc. so as to avoid sample dilution.
2. The timing of the first morning collection is critical; it must be collected 30 minutes after awakening.
Specimen 1: collect 30 minutes after waking
Specimen 2: collect before lunch (approximately 3-5 hours after 1st specimen)
Specimen 3: collect before dinner (approximately 3-5 hours after 2nd specimen)
Specimen 4: collect 30 minutes before bedtime
Example format: Collection times should be adjusted to reflect each person’s typical day.
Specimen 1: collect at 7:00am
Specimen 2: collect at 11:30am
Specimen 3: collect at 4:00pm
Specimen 4: collect at 9:30pm
Label each tube with your name, collection time and date. Submit specimens simultaneously on the same request form. After collecting specimen, store in refrigerator or freezer and deliver to PCS promptly after removing from fridge/freezer. Specimens may be stored for up to 4 days in refrigerator.
Consult your physician on the following:
· If you are prescribed sublingual hormones: It is recommended that you refrain from taking sublingual hormones throughout the entire day of saliva collection. Allow 24-36 hours after last dose, before collecting your first saliva sample.
· If you are prescribed topical hormones: It is recommended that you refrain from applying topical hormones throughout the entire day of saliva collection. Allow 12-24 hours before collecting your first saliva sample.
· Contact your provider on a protocol if you are prescribed cortisol medications for adrenal support