After you buy your lab tests online with Discounted Labs, there are things you should do to get ready for your blood draw at the nearest lab near you. Here are a few considerations to know so that your lab test results are accurate.
Lab Test Results Turn-Around Time
All lab test orders are processed Monday to Friday 9 am-5 pm Central Time. Results for commonly ordered tests are typically available within 3 business days after collection at a patient service center. Specialized tests based on LC/MS assay could take 5 to 7 business days to get results.
How to Locate a Lab Near You
After receiving and printing your lab requisition form, please take it into any Quest location along with a photo ID. Quest Diagnostics lab centers are typically open during business hours Mon-Friday,. with some locations open Saturdays. No appointment is necessary, but you can schedule an appointment. Scheduling an appointment may save wait time if the lab is busy. No additional charges will be required.
What Lab Tests Require Fasting?
Fasting is usually recommended for common tests like glucose and lipid profiles. Some physicians prefer that testosterone testing be done before breakfast since food may temporarily decrease the blood level of testosterone. If you ordered a lipid (cholesterol) panel or a testosterone blood test (and are not currently on testosterone replacement therapy), it is recommended that you fast for at least 8 hours before getting your blood drawn in the morning at the location you choose.
The following panels required fasting:
- 12 hours - CMP (14), Lipid Panels, Renal Function Panel
- 8 to 10 hours - Insulin, Cardio IQ Advanced Lipid Panel, CBC ( Glucose), GGT
- 6 to 8 hours - B12, Folate, magnesium, Homocysteine
Stay Hydrated Before Lab Test
Hydration is of the utmost importance. Drink extra water for 24 hours prior to your draw, and try refrain from drinking alcohol for 24 hours prior to collection. Dehydration decreases blood volume that could result in higher lab test values.
Best Time of Day to Get Lab Test Done
Depending on your current treatment and your doctor's reason for testing, there may be an optimal time of day at which the test should be completed. Be sure to follow your doctor's instructions for your laboratory tests.
Having labs taken early morning is recommended for the following tests:
- Glucose Plasma
- Testosterone (if not on TRT)
Taking your Medications Before Lab Tests
Take your medications prior to your appointment. However, if you have diabetes and are on oral medications or insulin, check with your doctor whether to take these medications. See below for special instructions for hormone replacement medications.
Important Information for those on Hormone Replacement Therapy and Your Lab Tests
If you are on hormone replacement of any type, please be sure to have your labs drawn BEFORE your hormone cream application or hours before your next testosterone injection.
For more information:
- We Have the Most Affordable Lab Tests Available in the U.S.
- No Doctor Visit is Required. Our In-House Doctor Provides Prescription at No extra Cost to You.
- We Serve Several U.S. States.
- No Hidden Costs. A $8 Lab Draw Fee is Added to Your Order.
- Our Blood Tests are FDA Approved.
- We are HIPAA Compliant. We Protect Your Privacy.
- Your Order Good for 90 Days. You Do Not Have to Rush to the Lab.
- Over 1,900 Lab Locations Around the United States.
- No Appointment Needed. Walk-ins Welcomed.
- Your Blood Test Results are Delivered by Email.
- We Provide Hormone Testing Via Sensitive Assays.
- We Have Created Blood Test Panels Applied to Different Needs.
- Discount Coupons Emailed Periodically.
- Educational Videos and Articles are Provided in Our Blog Page.